ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH & BRIE SOUP: WITH HAM & CRISPY ONIONS
Fall in a bowl. I promise. Crank the Christmas music while cooking; you will thank me. Oh, and don’t skimp on the crispy fried onions… They make the soup.
Recipe by Shelby Kolb
- 5 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- kosher salt and pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6-8 ounces brie, rind removed, cut in slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 – 1 pound diced ham
- Chopped rosemary, for serving
- Crispy fried onions, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large soup pot, combine the butternut squash, garlic, olive oil, honey, paprika, cayenne, cinnamon, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Toss well to combine. Pour onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the squash is tender. Turn squash halfway through.
- Transfer the roasted veggies to a blender and add the broth, puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and set over medium heat on the stove.
- Stir in the milk. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk in the brie and butter until melted and smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Stir in the diced ham. Continue cooking for ~5 minutes.
- Serve the soup! Top with chopped rosemary, crispy fried onions, and sour cream (if desired).