Butternut Squash Curry with Chicken
A comforting and dairy-free stew to warm you up on any day. Make it vegan by substituting the chicken for chickpeas.
Recipe by Shelby Kolb
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
· 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
· 2 teaspoons curry powder
· 1 teaspoon chili powder
· ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
· 7 cloves garlic, minced
· 3 teaspoons ginger, minced
· 2-3 large chicken breasts, cut into cubes
· 1 can (~14 oz) coconut milk
· 5 tablespoons peanut butter
· 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
· 3 tablespoons honey
· *1 can (~14 oz) chopped tomatoes
1. Toss the cubed butternut squash in a large bowl with the chili powder, curry powder, and turmeric powder. (Note: if you have extra time, roast the squash for about 20 minutes to get them a little softened up.)
2. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet. Saute the garlic and ginger for a couple of minutes; until fragrant. Add the chicken and cook for about 6 minutes on each side (until white).
3. Add the coconut milk, then stir in peanut butter, Thai curry paste, and honey.
4. Add the butternut squash and tomatoes. Put a lid on the pot, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the squash is fork tender. Using a wooden spoon or large fork, squish the squash into the curry.
5. Serve over rice and top with sour cream or Greek yogurt.